⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard name definitions ... are these formal or flexible

From: Bryan Lawrence <bryan.lawrence>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:17:12 +0100

Hi Stephen

Alison is buried with CMIP5 problems at the moment, so may not get to this query for a wihle. For my tuppence worth, the method by which something is measured should not be in the definition, since the standard name is supposed to be a geophysical quantity, however measured. We've been over this ground other times.

So, I think there is a case to fix the definition here ... (he says, knowing nothing about the ins and outs of this specific example).

Bryan

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 12:01:20 Stephen Emsley wrote:
> Hi all
>

> I am currently sifting through the Standard Name table for potential candidates for naming geophysical products for a remote sensing satellite (ESA/GMES Sentinel 3). One of our data products is the concentration of suspended matter in sea water (TSM). I note that there is a standard name for the same. However, on examining the description for this standard name I discover the phrase 'Determined by filtration, drying and then weighing'.
>

> My question is: How formally defined are the standard names? Could a satellite derived TSM concentration have a standard name concentration_of_suspended_matter_in_sea_water or must a new standard name be devised and proposed that, for instance, includes _from_satellite. Or, rather than proposing a new standard name, would our proposal be to widen the definition of the standard name currently within the table by removing the phrase concerning its measurement.
>

> Similarly, the concentration_of_chlorophyll_in_seawater description targets in vitro assay using HPLC or fluorimetry and specifies Chlorophyll-a rather than the assemblage of pigments that would be detected using spectrometry from satellite.
>

> Any advice appreciated. Are there any satellite ocean colour people on the list pondering the same questions vis-?-vis naming data products?
>

> Many thanks
>
> Steve

> Dr Stephen Emsley
>
> ARGANS Limited Tel: +44 (0)1752 764 289
>
> Unit 3 Drake Building Mobile: +44 (0)7912 515 418
>
> Tamar Science Park Fax: +44 (0)1752 772 227
>
> Derriford, Plymouth, PL6 8BY SEmsley at argans.co.uk <mailto:SEmsley at argans.co.uk>
>
> Skype(tm): archonsme

Bryan Lawrence
Director of Environmental Archival and Associated Research
(NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre and NCEO/NERC NEODC)
STFC, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Phone +44 1235 445012; Fax ... 5848;
Web: home.badc.rl.ac.uk/lawrence