⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Conventions vs. Community Profiles

From: olivier lauret <olauret>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:18:08 +0200

Dear Derrick,

It is an interesting question actually. I would say that CF are conventions, in contrary of ISO 19115/19139. The notion of profile is not expected to be as important as it is in ISO, from a technical point of view at least..But it's only my opinion.
Then for a given community probably the thing I would do is to define a kind of 'profile for conventions' with some recommendations. This profile could be described in a document, and then mentioned in netCDF header like Conventions = "CF-1.4, community profile XXX". And that would be enough, I guess.
Anyway if someone experienced this in different ways I am really interested in.(I do not know if it is a constructive contribution to the discussion, but I hope so!)

Kind regards,

Olivier.