⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for Ocean Dynamics

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:42:52 -0400

Hi all -
> I am trying to convert model data to CF-netCDF using the standard names, but I need some extra ones. The model is a coupled tide-surge-wave model, which includes barotropic and baroclnic currents, but gives the total overall current field (tides, surge driven, salinity driven currents etc....)
>
> Would it be possible to make standard names for:
>

> 2)sea_surface_wave_peak_period units: s
> A period is an interval of time, or the time-period of an oscillation. The peak wave period is the period of the most energetic waves in the total wave spectrum at a specific point.

This would be useful for observational data as well; we'll be
dealing with more wave measurements soon.
> 3)total_eastward_sea_water_velocity units:m s^-1
> A velocity is a vector quantity. "Eastward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed eastward (negative westward).
>
> 4)total_northward_sea_water_velocity units:m s^-1
> A velocity is a vector quantity. "Northward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed northward (negative southward).

Don't the existing standard names eastward_sea_water_velocity (and
northward_sea_water_velocity) imply "total"?

And, I suspect that the daily_mean and depth_averaged velocities can
most easily be specified with cell methods, using the existing standard
names. Is there some reason not to handle these that way?
> 5)total_depth_averaged_eastward_sea_water_velocity units:m s^-1
> A velocity is a vector quantity. "Eastward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed eastward (negative westward). "Depth-averaged" means the velocity vectors at every depth level are averaged.
>
> 6)total_depth_averaged_northward_sea_water_velocity units:m s^-1
> A velocity is a vector quantity. "Northward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed northward (negative southward). "Depth-averaged" means the velocity vectors at every depth level are averaged.
>
> 7)total_daily_mean_eastward_sea_water_velocity units:m s^-1
> A velocity is a vector quantity. "Eastward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed eastward (negative westward). "Daily mean" means the velocity vectors at every level are averaged through time over 1 day.
>
> 8)total_daily_mean_northward_sea_water_velocity units:m s^-1
> A velocity is a vector quantity. "Northward" indicates a vector component which is positive when directed northward (negative southward). "Daily mean" means the velocity vectors at every level are averaged through time over 1 day.
>
> 9)sea_surface_height_above_mean_tidal_level units:m
> "Sea surface height" is a time-varying quantity, positive is vertically above the mean tidal level (negative below). The mean tidal level is the mean level of the sea surface due to the tide.
>
> 10)vertical_grid_level units: 1
> The level of the vertical grid above the sea bed. Level 1 = the bed, increasing positively up to the surface.

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *