⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Rotated-pole grids

From: Jon Blower <j.d.blower>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:29:55 +0100

Thanks Jonathan, I was looking at the example rather than the real
spec, sorry. Can I clarify that I've understood the terms correctly?

> * grid_north_pole_latitude
> * grid_north_pole_longitude
These define the real-world location of the rotated grid's north pole
(i.e. +90 degrees).

> * north_pole_grid_longitude - This parameter is option (default is 0).
This defines the longitude of the rotated grid that passes through the
real-world north pole.

Is this right?

Thanks, Jon

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Jonathan
Gregory<j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear Jon
>
>> Looking again at the CF specification for a rotated-pole grid, it
>> seems to be underspecified. ?There are an infinite number of
>> coordinate systems for a given pole location because the "new globe"
>> can be rotated about its axis - don't we need some more information?
>
> Yes, the pole location itself is not enough. There are actually three CF
> attributes defined for this grid mapping.
>
> ? ?* grid_north_pole_latitude
> ? ?* grid_north_pole_longitude
> ? ?* north_pole_grid_longitude - This parameter is option (default is 0).
>
> The third one pins down the rotation of the new globe.
>
> Cheers

Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
Environmental Systems Science Centre
University of Reading
Harry Pitt Building, 3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL. UK