⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Rotated-pole grids

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:21:52 +0100

Dear Jon

> Looking again at the CF specification for a rotated-pole grid, it
> seems to be underspecified. There are an infinite number of
> coordinate systems for a given pole location because the "new globe"
> can be rotated about its axis - don't we need some more information?

Yes, the pole location itself is not enough. There are actually three CF
attributes defined for this grid mapping.

    * grid_north_pole_latitude
    * grid_north_pole_longitude
    * north_pole_grid_longitude - This parameter is option (default is 0).

The third one pins down the rotation of the new globe.

Cheers

Jonathan