⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Rotated-pole grids

From: John Caron <caron>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:43:18 -0600

A few more cents:

1. Its more powerful for the client to know the projection transformation than to know only the 2D lat/lon values. For that reason I always encourage providers to include the projection info. When the client doesnt know what to do with the projection info, having the 2D lat/lon info make the data useable anyway, and for that reason i think the decision by CF to require the 2D lat/lon is correct for archival files.

2. The CDM/TDS uses netcdf/CF as a way to transfer binary information in WCS and other web services. Adding two-dim lat/lon fields can triple (worst case) the size of the file. For that reason CDM/TDS allows the user to specify if they want 2D lat/lon fields or not. This makes the files not strictly CF compliant, but we leave it to the client to decide what tradeoff they want.

The point is that web service binary encoding is a use case likely not originally envisioned by the CF committee.