⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Salinity units

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:21:07 +0100

FWIW I've heard the same opinion from physical oceanographers
(probably the same ones!) that salinity has no units. I.e. that one
says "the salinity is 35", not "the salinity is 35psu". I interpret
this as meaning that the unit is actually part of the definition of
what salinity is (i.e. if it's not in psu then it's not salinity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salinity).

I agree with Jonathan that this seems strange and could cause
confusion, particularly since I think there has been more than one way
of defining the salinity scale and I have certainly seen different
ways of expressing salinity (whether technically correct or not) in
data files in per mil or other units.

I'm certainly not an expert here though. The question of how to
express this given CF's dependency on udunits (which should surely
itself be reviewed - but that's another discussion).

Jon

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Lowry, Roy K<rkl at bodc.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> The reason I'm resurrecting this discussion is that we came under strong pressure from a group of physical oceanographers to use 'dimensionless' with no scaling factor instead of PSU for salinity. ?I was raising the issue on the list to see how widespread this opinion was.
>
> Cheers, Roy.

Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
Environmental Systems Science Centre
University of Reading
Harry Pitt Building, 3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL. UK