⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Rotated-pole grids

From: Jon Blower <j.d.blower>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 15:56:33 +0100

Thanks for the confirmation Don. This seems very odd indeed - if the
source data don't contain the (real) lon and lat coordinates then it's
quite onerous (and quite pointless) to do so in a convenient fashion
(it would generally involve re-writing the headers, or using some long
and ugly NcML). Presumably there must have been a good reason for
including these coordinates?

Cheers, Jon

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Don Murray<dmurray at unidata.ucar.edu> wrote:
> John-
>
> I believe for all grid_mappings that lat/lon are required even though the
> grid mapping defines the transformations necessary. ?I think it is redundant
> in all cases, not just for the rotated lat/lon.
>
> Don
>
> Jon Blower wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> We have some data that use a rotated pole grid. ?The CF convention for
>> describing this is here:
>>
>> http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.4/cf-conventions.html#id2985006.
>> ?Are the 2D lon and lat variables in this example really necessary?
>> They would seem to be redundant as their values can be calculated from
>> rlon, rlat and the location of the new "north" pole.
>>
>> Thanks, Jon
>>

> --
> Don Murray ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? UCAR Unidata Program
> dmurray at unidata.ucar.edu ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?P.O. Box 3000
> (303) 497-8628 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Boulder, CO 80307
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm

Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
Environmental Systems Science Centre
University of Reading
Harry Pitt Building, 3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL. UK