⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name request for pH

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 11:27:49 -0400

I think I'd have to defer to Roy and John about whether these are
really different geophysical quantities or just different scales, since
I have no experience with pH measurements (yet).

On the other hand, Roy, it's no less daunting to provide definitions
for attributes that characterize the 5 (to date) different scales than to
define new standard names for them, if we went that route. It's just
the down side of using a standard - definitions will be required,
either way.

One question for Jonathan, and I apologize if this has already been
determined - I appreciate the time you're putting into this.

If we went with the approach that these are different ways to measure
the same quantity, and used a single standard name, how would you
implement this to allow different units? Would we need to use
dimensionless
units (1) and provide the actual units in the new attribute? That might
make
the data fairly difficult to use and share effectively.

I don't know of any other measured parameters that are treated this way;
you mentioned cloud area fraction, but I'm not clear on how that was
implemented to allow different scales, and since "fraction" is part of the
standard name, it does seem that "1" is a more appropriate unit there than
here. Having the actual units specified (or worse, implied) in another
attribute it wouldn't be anything we'd deal with in existing code. Not
that this couldn't be written, but as a programmer, I think limiting the
number of special cases we have to deal with is generally a good thing.

Thanks - Nan