⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for additional CF biogeochemistry attributes

From: olivier lauret <olauret>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:06:13 +0200

Dear Christiane, dear all,

Many thanks to you Christiane for your interesting comments. I waited a little bit before answer because there is an important discussion about pH in CF.

The truth is that the standard name attributes we are proposing are needed in the frame of MyOcean project, that is to say that there will be a large amount of new suggestions that will require your opinion and inputs! Then this is only a first sample, and not the last one..

Following your comments hereafter my feelings, also subject to Bruce Hackett and Laurence Crosnier appreciation (Bruce, feel free to correct me if you do not agree).

Comments

O Lauret

1) "volume_concentration_of_oxygen_in_sea_water"

You suggest now to add volume concentration. I think we should avoid to add too many expressions.

In your case, I assume that this is the common way to express this quantity in ocean science, but if not, could you possibly use one of the existing expressions?

? Yes you may be right, it is not absolutely necessary to introduce this "volume_concentration" expression. I noticed that CF rules allow the use of "volume_fraction_of_X_in_Y" that seems to reflect perfectly this quantity, especially in terms of dimensions. Then I suggest "volume_fraction_of_oxygen_in_sea_water" instead. Bruce, Laurence, do you agree with that?

2) "ratio_of_nitrate_to_phosphate_in_sea_water"

Does this refer name to the mass or volume or mole ratio?

? I guess it doesn't really matter, because of the ratio (mass ratio is equal to volume ratio anyway)?

3) The post fix "in_sea_water"

All your names refer to quantities in the ocean which is a large scale medium, not a local one. I guess a local medium in the oean would rather be something like in_air if a tracer is contained in air bubbles in the ocean. I am not sure how to deal with this, but should ocean_ (or sea_water_) not be used as a prefix with the post fix deleted?

? I agree with that, but all the existing ocean/sea water ones are built in that way, with sea_water as post fix.. Within CF 'ocean part' there seems not to have (yet) the same interesting distinction you underlined for atmospheric sciences.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

Best regards,

Olivier.

Olivier LAURET

Project Engineer

Space Oceanography Division

8-10 rue Hermes, 31520 Ramonville St.Agne

France

Tel. (+33) (0) 561 39 48 51

Fax:(+33) (0) 561 39 47 80

          http://www.cls.fr <http://www.cls.fr/>