⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name request for pH

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 10:38:29 -0700

I didn't mean to suggest we not create a standard name for it, I just
suggested it not be a part of this proposal. What I didn't like about
the original name is that it implies NBS scale is appropriate for sea
water, whereas the documentation I had suggested that was not the case
(and my impression was that the errors could be bigger than 0.1, but
I'm talking out of my hat there). So another name might be more
suited -- or this might be your preference. If you want that name I
won't stand in your way!

You know, an analogous name for some of this is
'sea_surface_temperature'. I know that's a favorite of yours Roy!
The argument (I think you've made this point very effectively in
presentations?) is "What do we do with this? We don't know what the
values mean!" So a number of more precise terms were defined (though
I don't know that the original is precluded, or even discouraged?). I
think 'sea_water_pH' is an excellent analog.

John