⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name request for pH

From: Lowry, Roy K <rkl>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:35:07 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

Not quite the correct interpretation. Both NBS and free scale are based on the number of moles of hydrogen ions. The difference is that NBS referes to the number of moles in a litre of water whereas free scale refers to the number of moles in a kilogram of water. So following your logic we should really have:

pH_of_sea_water_defined_by_mole_concentration_of_hydrogen_ion_per_unit_mass (free scale)
pH_of_sea_water_defined_by_mole_concentration_of_hydrogen_ion_per_unit_volume (NBS)

This certainly fulfils my 'does what is says on the tin' criterion!

Having the Standard Name 'pH_of_sea_water' defined as 'pH defined on any scale: past, present or future' appeals to the pragmatic side of my nature but others, particularly carbonate system chemists, might see it as inviting bad practice. With me pragmatism wins, so I'd give your suggestion a tentative 'yes' vote but would be prepared to back down if there were strong objections from elsewhere in the CF community.

Cheers, Roy.