⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name request for pH

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:16:24 +0100

Dear Roy

> The two pH variants I knew of before I prodded John for information were NBS, which is based on hydrogen ion concentration per unit volume (moles/litre), and free scale based on hydrogen ion concentration per unit mass (moles/kg).

Ah, I see.

> pH_per_unit_mass_in_sea_water for free scale
> pH_per_unit_volume_in_sea_water for NBS

They're not really pH per unit something, but H per unit something expressed
as pH, aren't they. What about

pH_of_sea_water_defined_by_mass_concentration_of_hydrogen_ion
pH_of_sea_water_defined_by_mole_concentration_of_hydrogen_ion

and just

pH_of_sea_water

for applications which don't want to be precise.

Cheers

Jonathan