⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new named fields for ocean

From: Pamment, JA <alison.pamment>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:51:20 +0100

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for your comments regarding the ocean/sea_water question. During
our telephone conversation we agreed that I should forward your comments
to the mailing list, which I have done at the end of this message.
During the conversation, we discussed whether a number of standard names
in the table, for example, ocean diffusivities, transports and
overturning, should in fact use the term 'sea_water' instead of 'ocean'
because these quantities can in general vary with location. We agreed
that 'ocean' can be an ambiguous term because it is not obvious whether
it refers only to sea water or also to sea ice. Furthermore, we agreed
that for the present the name sea_water_mass_per_unit_area would be
added to the table.

Additionally, we agreed that I would raise the question of 'ocean'
versus 'sea_water' again on the mailing list during April to allow a
review of all existing names that use either term. Aliases would be
created for any names that need to be changed. This discussion can take
place separately from any specific set of standard name proposals and
free from the constraints of the CMIP5 timetable.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.
--
Scanned by iCritical.