⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposing an alternate units attribute (from 'raw' variables thread)

From: Robert Muetzelfeldt <r.muetzelfeldt>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:15:52 +0000

What is the actual (scientific) value of having units associated with
raw measurements?

If I record a temperature value in degreeC using instrument of type A,
and you record a temperature value in degreeC using instrument of type
B, we know formally what sorts of comparisons we can do between our two
values.

If, on the other hand, I record a temperature value in volts using
instrument of type A, and you record a temperature value in volts using
instrument of type B, then there is no way we can do any comparison
between the two values - the instruments are quite likely to have quite
different temperature-voltage characteristics. Unless, that is, we
know the relationship between volts and degreeC for both instruments, in
which case it is irrelevant that the raw data is in volts in both cases
- it could just as well have been mm mercury for instrument A, and
bloodles for instrument B.

Cheers,
Robert