⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for variables in 'raw?engineering' units

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:54:18 -0700

On Mar 12, 2009, at 4:07 AM, Heinke Hoeck wrote:

> I would propose a short suffix like '_raw'.
> Are the units free selectable for the '_raw' data? Should we add
> 'raw_unit'?
> I think the raw data are a proxy. This should be commented in the
> header.

What does "the raw data are a proxy" mean, please? (Proxy for what?)

Short suffix '_raw' works for me.

If you are suggesting adding 'raw_unit' as an attribute, I think this
will be necessary. The existing attribute 'unit' is not sufficient
because of the restriction that it be something from UD_Units. I
propose freely selectable units, with a strongly recommended practice
of using a URI.

This makes me realize that the most abstract version of this use case
is data in any units that can not be transformed to the canonical
units, for example:
  - partially transformed units that aren't raw but aren't in science
form
  - data not in UD_Units -- alternate formats for certain complex data
values
  - data not in UD_Units -- new or atypical measurements not in
UD_Units, like 'counts'
The latter conditions are somewhat common observationally, in my
experience. The middle one can be avoided by transformation, but not
necessarily the first or last.

So if we wanted to generalize our semantics, we could make the suffix
'_alternate_unit' (or a shorter variant?) and the attribute
'alternate_unit'. On the other hand, it's probably acceptable just to
use '_raw' for the more general situations described above.

John