⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] how to use time zones?

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 09:40:59 -0500

We use UTC for everything, but someone on another mailing list recently
raised the issue of time zones, so I wondered how CF handles them. There's
an example in the CF manual using local time:

seconds since 1992-10-8 15:15:42.5 -6:00

  indicates seconds since October 8th, 1992 at 3 hours, 15
  minutes and 42.5 seconds in the afternoon in the time zone
  which is six hours to the west of Coordinated Universal Time
  (i.e. Mountain Daylight Time).

which implies the way time zones should be expressed, but I couldn't find
an actual 'rule' anywhere.

I don't have a copy of ISO 8601 but found this*:

Regarding Time Zones, it is common for those East of
Greenwich to be treated as Positive, and for those to
the West (i.e. the Americas) to be treated as Negative.
This is also defined towards the end of the ISO 8601
standard.

Should something similar be spelled out in the CF manual, or is
the example clear enough?

Thanks -
Nan

*(What Is ISO 8601? Ian Galpin, 1997-Feb-04, mit.edu)

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *