⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Emissivity not found in the current standard name table

From: Won, Young-In <Young-In.Won-1>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:52:06 -0600

Hello,

I am working on AIRS (Atmospheric Infrared Sounders) data in NASA
Goddard Space Flight Center (Goddard Earth Science Data Information Data
Center).

The default format of our data is HDF-EOS, but we also provide
converting service into NetCDF. We are trying to make the converted file
CF compliant. One of primary attributes for CF compliant variables is
standard name and there are several parameters (from AIRS instrument)
that cannot be matched with the current standard name list.

For example, I cannot find parameter related to "Emissivity", which is
fraction of the amount of thermal radiation that a blackbody would (or
ratio of energy radiated by a particular material to energy radiated by
a black body at the same temperature.

AIRS provides two types of surface Emissivity; one in IR region and the
other in Microwave region. My first trial naming these two emissivity
would be something like,

- surface_ir_emissivity (or surface_longwave_emissivity)
- surface_microwave_emissivity,

following the convention for other parameter name.

I would appreciate for discussion/comments on these parameters for
inclusion in the table.

Thanks,

Young-In
Young-In Won, Ph.D.