⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New area_type table and new links from standard name?table

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:15:25 +0000

Dear John

> In marine domains anyway, there are maybe 6 common classification
> schemes for habitat (many more uncommon ones). Note I do not mean
> individual terms; I mean schemes. In agriculture I can't help but
> think there are many more.
>
> Is this a slippery slope?

As always, I think we will have to wait and see what is requested. In land
surface models there are not typically a huge number of different veg and
land-use types. We have to deal with this somehow, anyway, as it is needed
in metadata. Even if this is a slippery slope, nothing obliges us to slide
down it. We keep our ice-axes at the ready for self-arrest and we can seek
another route if this one is wrong.

Cheers

Jonathan