⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] mixing ratio

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:20:15 +0000

Dear Christiane

> Actually, the volcanic plume model I have been working with was
> referrring to wet air as the water vapor ratio was very high close to the
> volcanic vent. Such situations are not common in the atmosphere, but in
> special cases, they can be. I would therefore still vote for the use of
> ambient and dry as a prefix to air. Or at least include a remark in the
> explanations that air=dry_air.

I think the crucial question is whether at this point you think you need to
distinguish between ambient-air and dry-air quantities. That is, do you have
both in your dataset, or do you have applications where it is essential to know
which kind a quantity was? If you do need to tell them apart, we need distinct
names for the two kinds. Otherwise, we can be vague for the moment (and just
say "air" in the names, indicating that it could mean either in the
definitions); we can introduce distinct names when the need arises.