⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] mixing ratio

From: Philip J. Cameronsmith1 <cameronsmith1>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:37:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jonathan,

I agree that 'water vapor in dry air' initially seems to make no sense.
But it is particularly useful in chemistry transport models that read in
meteorological data from a file (an off-line model) to use dry air in the
denominator for all of the species, and this is just the logical extension
for water vapor. Such off-line models generally do not implement moist
processes prognostically (I only know of one exception, and that comes
with different challenges). It is easier and more accurate to transport
species assuming an unchanging airmass. To really get into dirty details:
the unchanging airmass may be dry air, or it may implicitly include some
unchanging water vapor concentration, but the distinction is usually
unimportant in practice (because this error is generally small compared to
concentration differences between different models, and observations).

Best wishes,

      Philip