⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new named fields for ocean

From: Stephen Griffies <Stephen.Griffies>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:16:28 -0500

Ian,

Thanks for the comments. In addition to Jonathan's responses, here are
mine regarding the subgrid scale fields.

Ian Culverwell wrote:
> Dear Stephen,
>
> (1) There are no standard_names including "laplacian" yet - it would
> seem to be the default (coeffs in m2/s).

I introduced the "laplacian" name to distinguish from the "biharmonic"
now included in my proposed list. Are you suggesting to drop
"laplacian" and let that be the default, unless otherwise noted by a
"biharmonic" name? Indeed, that is just what is done in my list for
vertical mixing (in fact, I know of no ocean model that employs a
biharmonic operator for vertical mixing). In summary, I am not
strongly in favour one way or the other for the lateral, but initially
suggested the name "laplacian" to remain symmetric with the name
"biharmonic." I can readily drop this for the lateral if that is
strongly favoured.

> (2) There are lots of "ocean_vertical_..." diffusivities (see table);
> perhaps you need to to preface yours as "ocean_lateral_..." (I don't
> know; I'm no expert.)

Below again are the lateral SGS fields. For physical reasons, I do not
believe the added name "lateral" is needed, since there is already in
the proposed name a specification that encompasses more precisely what
the term "lateral" would otherwise provide. For example,
"ocean_tracer_bolus_laplacian_diffusivity" would not be more clearly
stated as "ocean_tracer_bolus_lateral_laplacian_diffusivity", since
there is physically no corresponding
"ocean_tracer_bolus_vertical_laplacian_diffusivity"; the term "bolus" is
sufficient. Likewise, "ocean_tracer_epineutral_biharmonic_diffusivity"
would not be better written as
"ocean_tracer_epineutral_lateral_biharmonic_diffusivity", since there is
no "ocean_tracer_epineutral_vertical_biharmonic_diffusivity"; the term
"epineutral" serves to fully specify the diffusivity.

Best,
 Stephen

LATERAL SUBGRID SCALE FIELDS
ocean_tracer_bolus_laplacian_diffusivity m2/s
ocean_tracer_bolus_biharmonic_diffusivity m2/s
ocean_tracer_epineutral_laplacian_diffusivity m2/s
ocean_tracer_epineutral_biharmonic_diffusivity m2/s
ocean_tracer_xy_laplacian_diffusivity m2/s
ocean_tracer_xy_biharmonic_diffusivity m4/s
tendency_of_ocean_eddy_kinetic_energy_content_due_to_bolus_transport W/m2
ocean_momentum_xy_laplacian_diffusivity
m2/s
ocean_momentum_xy_biharmonic_diffusivity m4/s
ocean_kinetic_energy_dissipation_per_unit_area_due_to_xy_friction W/m2