⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Independent documentation of CF conventions?

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:59:21 +0100

Hi Russ,

I don't understand why there is a desire for others to document CF.
Surely it's better to have a single authoritative source? Do they
mean that they want evidence that others are writing about CF, in the
sense that they are using it? One could argue that this entire list
is involved in documenting CF, not just the primary authors.

On the deletion page, this statement is patently false:
> A web search reveals that few people care about this subject besides the ones developing it.

Lots of people care about CF, even if they don't know it, because
their tools would not interpret data correctly. It can be
demonstrated that CF is in wide use (see Steve Hankin's GODAE poster
for instance).

Cheers, Jon

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Russ Rew <russ at unidata.ucar.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is currently a Wikipedia discussion taking place on whether a CF
> Metadata Conventions article is appropriate:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/CF_Metadata_Conventions
>
> One of the characteristics that Wikipedia strives for in all articles is
> verifiable accuracy, which has led to the comment:
>
> The proper question to be addressing here is whether there is
> documentation of these conventions by someone other than their
> original authors.
>
> Does anyone know of such documentation? It would provide evidence of an
> independent source for information about the CF conventions, and
> ultimately the verifiability of information in the draft article being
> built at:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CF_Metadata_Conventions
>
> --Russ

Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
Environmental Systems Science Centre
University of Reading
Harry Pitt Building, 3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL. UK