⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols (resulting from a GRIB2 p

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 14:25:53 -0700

Roy, Bryan, Jonathan,

Since my name has been entered into the discussion (and not accompanied
by a 4 letter word ... how remarkable :-P ), I'll add 2 cents.

CommonConcept is potentially a tidy solution for tying together a small
sub-community, and in that sense it may provide a valuable escape valve
for the "deluge of MIPS" (Bryan's concern). But it is not an answer to
broad semantic interoperability. In fact it seems more likely to be a
step backwards in that regard -- echoing Roy's concern, below.

Jonathan's point seems valid, that splitting up the namespace into areas
which develop separately is a formula that can lead over time to
inconsistencies. In any case, CF already has a single long list of
names. There have been dozens (hundreds?) of opportunities to subdivide
the list that were bypassed. We have a self-consistent approach now,
for all that it (like any solution) has some warts.

(There. I've managed to agree with all 3 of you. :-) What are the odds
of a 4-body collision?)

So how to resolve the scaling problems we are alluding to? I believe
that the answer is to develop an ontology (in as simple a form as
possible) that explains how the names in the list are semantically
related to one another. At the GO-ESSP meeting Roy and I discussed that
such a mapping might be embedded into his vocabulary server (and see
where that leads us). The idea is that humans and machines have a need
to identify closely related variables that is almost as strong as the
need to identify exact matches. If a human or software is looking for
the temperature of the sea surface, they should be aware of the
semantically related standard variables

    |sea_surface_foundation_temperature
    ||sea_surface_skin_temperature
    ||sea_surface_subskin_temperature
    ||sea_surface_temperature
    ||sea_water_temperature
    etc.

||I recall that Roy volunteered to experiment with this as a volunteer
action item at the end of the meeting. (I still owe the GO-ESSP group a
cleaned up version of that action list). I think over the long term we
are going to come to depend very heavily on such a resource. Immediate
example of this was the visual "full table scan" of the CF list that I
had to do 3 minutes ago in order to find the variants of sea surface
temperature just above.

    - Steve