⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF standard names for chemical constituents and aerosols (resulting from a GRIB2 p

From: Philip J. Cameronsmith1 <cameronsmith1>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:53:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Martina, et al.

Comments interleaved below.

Best wishes,

   Philip

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Martina Stockhause wrote:

> Hallo Roy,
>
> there is a slight difference between a lumped species and a total:
> Total consists of different individual species, but a lumped species is a
> synthetic species representing chemical constituents with similar chemical
> behaviour. It is used for organic chemical constituents. The advantage is a
> reduction of the number of species an the number of chemical reactions that
> have to be calculated.
>
> The term 'lumped' is fairly common: lumping techniques, lumped species.

As an atmospheric chemist I understand your distinction, which is
significant for modeling. However, I'm not sure the distinction is
important for CF, since 'lumped' and 'totaled' for the same group of
species should be comparable. I therefore suggest we stick with 'total',
since it has been used before and is more understandable to non-chemists.

This does not address the issue of which species are, and are not,
included in the lumped/total specie for hydrocarbons. This is tricky.
It has been discussed at some length for CF in the past, but as I recall,
it did not reach a conclusion (the proposal that sparked the discussion
got withdrawn). I'll mention more in reply to your previous email so that
the discussion doesn't get lost here.

> Definition suggestions - good idea!
>
> Anthropogenic refers to chemical constitutents influenced, caused or created
> by human activity.
> Biogenic refers to chemical constitutents generated by natural processes.
>
> For oxygenated means simply 'containing oxygen'.
>
> For passive ozone I am not content with:
> Passive ozone means the behaviour of ozone in the absence of chemical
> processes.
>
> 'Non-reactive' isn't any better, either. One of the chemists might have a
> better definition for that.

This is another discussion that went on at length, but was withdrawn
before it was decided (as I recall). The challenge is that a tracer like
ozone can be passive with respect to many things (including selected
reactions, radiation, and deposition), and may also be partially reactive
(eg stratospheric ozone in the troposphere). The nature of a 'passive'
tracer also typically depends on how it is initialized and handled at the
boundaries.

However, I do recall from the previous discussion that everyone agreed
that putting everything in the standard name would be unworkable.

Best wishes,

      Philip