⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] vertical coordinates

From: Ethan Davis <edavis>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 23:31:08 -0600

Hi Jon,

I agree with your reading of the spec (that there is currently no way to
relate a vertical coordinate variable with a vertical datum) and Rich's
suggestion that we need a new ticket for vertical datum.

It seems there are (at least?) two ways to capture the vertical datum
information:

1) Extend the existing grid mapping/projection/CRS framework to include
a vertical datum id/name.
2) Extend the existing vertical coordinate set of attributes to include
a vertical datum id/name.

I prefer the second option because it keeps all the vertical information
in one place and it also more easily allows two or more variables to be
on the same horizontal CRS but different vertical CRS.

However, the first option seems appealing in that the entire CRS would
be in one location and if the vertical datum is an ellipsoid the
existing attributes can be used (as Seth suggested).

[Has anyone thought about how time might fit into all this CRS
discussion? I haven't looked at ISO 19108 in awhile but it seems
relevant if we want to consider temporal CRS. Should we consider that at
the same time as vertical? Or should we keep that separate in the
interest of not slowing down vertical CRS?]

Ethan

--
Ethan R. Davis                                Telephone: (303) 497-8155
Software Engineer                             Fax:       (303) 497-8690