⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name needed: "area"

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:11:20 +0100

Dear Karl

> I propose that the standard name "area" be added. It is needed for the
> next round of CMIP (CMIP5), where we will collect the grid cell areas
> for each model grid.

We had a discussion a while ago about this on the email list. One issue was
was whether the standard name should be "cell_area". Ian Culverwell has
included this in his list of ocean standard names. On reflection, I think
plain "area" would be OK because we always use that word to mean "horizontal
area" in standard names i.e. in the space of the horizontal dimensions, not
cross-sectional area etc., and because we have names such as sea_area and
sea_ice_area which are subsets of unqualified area.

If area is added as a standard name, the comment in the guidelines
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/guidelines
should be modified on the table at the end, where "generic names" are listed;
area is included and stated emphatically not to be a standard name.

Cheers

Jonathan