⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposed CF standard names for the NEMO ocean model

From: olivier lauret <olauret>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:43:15 +0200

Dear Ian,

48 new standard names is a good score!
A few comments I have in my mind:
*(T.2), (T.3), (T.5) about 'PME', 'SSH' and 'SSS'
Maybe we are facing some particular points of CF: until when may we have to be intelligible in the standard_name attribute? [a question I often ask to myself, I guess the answer is "as possible as it is"..]
For example by 'SSH' you perhaps mean 'sea surface height', and there are 3 kinds of different sea surface heights in the CF standard name table. What kind of SSH would it match? Do you think it changes the meaning of (T3) not to mention 'affecting_SSH'? I'm asking this because I am not sure it is..But I way be wrong, please tell me.
*(T.6)
Why not 'surface_downward_salt_flux'?
*(T13)
Good to see it, we have some needs here too with thermocline variables.
*(T.15)
If we refer to what is available in atmosphere ('atmosphere_energy_content' etc.) I think your proposal is OK
*(U3)
I am interested in the idea of introducing such 'derivative' terms, good
*(U2,V2,W4)
You are talking about velocity due to eddies; is it the same situation than when velocity components are computed from geostrophic balance, with pressure gradient equal to Coriolis forces? (Because in that case there are standard names for geostrophic velocities)

Olivier Lauret