⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.0 registration of new names for SST

From: Craig Donlon <craig.donlon>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:27:21 +0100

Hello Alison and everyone:

There are several GHRSST-PP science Team members and Oceanographers with me
at the WMO CLIMAR-III Conference in Poland this week and we have reviewed
the descriptive text you have prepared for the SST standard names. We agree
with the standard names. We agree with the definitions you have but propose
a revised text which we believe is a little clearer. I hope that you find
this aceptable and thank you for all your effort and support over the last
10 months or so. I am extremely pleased that we have reached a conclusion
and we will finally enter the CF namespace

Take care
Craig

Standard names:

surface_temperature
sea_water_temperature (for temperatures at depth)
sea_surface_skin_temperature
sea_surface_subskin_temperature
sea_surface_foundation_temperature

 Description for standard names

sea_surface_skin_temperature:

The surface called "surface" defines the lower boundary of the atmosphere.
The sea surface skin temperature is the temperature measured by an infrared
radiometer typically operating at wavelengths in the range 3.7 - 12
micrometers. It represents the temperature within the conductive
diffusion-dominated sub-layer at a depth of approximately 10 ? 20
micrometers below the air-sea interface. Measurements of this quantity are
subject to a large potential diurnal cycle including cool skin layer effects
(especially at night under clear skies and low wind speed conditions) and
warm layer effects in the daytime.

sea_surface_subskin_temperature:

The surface called "surface" defines the lower boundary of the atmosphere.
The sea surface subskin temperature is the temperature at the base of the
conductive laminar sub-layer of the ocean surface, that is, at a depth of
approximately 1 ? 1.5 millimetres below the air-sea interface. For practical
purposes, this quantity can be well approximated to the measurement of
surface temperature by a microwave radiometer operating in the 6 - 11
gigahertz frequency range, but the relationship is neither direct nor
invariant to changing physical conditions or to the specific geometry of the
microwave measurements. Measurements of this quantity are subject to a large
potential diurnal cycle due to thermal stratification of the upper ocean
layer in low wind speed high solar irradiance conditions..

sea_surface_foundation_temperature:

The surface called "surface" is defined as the lower boundary of the
atmosphere. The sea surface foundation temperature is the water temperature
that is not influenced by a thermally stratified layer of diurnal
temperature variability (either by daytime warming or nocturnal cooling).
The foundation temperature is named to indicate that it is the temperature
from which the growth of the diurnal thermocline develops each day, noting
that on some occasions with a deep mixed layer there is no clear foundation
temperature in the surface layer. In general, sea surface foundation
temperature will be similar to a night time minimum or pre-dawn value at
depths of between approximately 1 and 5 meters. In the absence of any
diurnal signal, the foundation temperature is considered equivalent to the
quantity with standard name sea_surface_subskin_temperature. The sea surface
foundation temperature defines a level in the upper water column that varies
in depth, space, and time depending on the local balance between thermal
stratification and turbulent energy and is expected to change slowly over
the course of a day. If possible, sea_surface_foundation_temperature should
use a data variable with a vertical coordinate axis to specify the depth of
the foundation level.

Sea surface foundation temperature is measured at the base of the diurnal
thermocline or as close to the water surface as possible in the absence of
thermal stratification. Only in situ contact thermometry is able to measure
the sea surface foundation temperature (reporting the temperature of sea
water at a particular depth using the standard name sea_water_temperature
and when possible including a data variable with a vertical coordinate axis).
Analysis procedures must be used to estimate sea surface foundation
temperature value from radiometric satellite measurements of the quantities
with standard names sea_surface_skin_temperature and
sea_surface_subskin_temperature. Sea surface foundation temperature
provides a connection with the historical concept of a "bulk" sea surface
temperature considered representative of the oceanic mixed layer temperature
that is typically represented by any sea temperature measurement within the
upper ocean over a depth range of 1 to approximately 20 meters. The general
term "bulk" SST is linked to the standard name sea_surface_temperature
without a vertical coordinate axis. Sea surface foundation temperature
provides a more precise, well-defined quantity than "bulk" SST and,
consequently, is more representative of the mixed layer temperature.

--
Dr Craig Donlon
Director of the International GODAE SST Pilot Project Office
E-mail: craig.donlon at gmail.com
http://www.ghrsst-pp.org