⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] what standard names are for

From: David Poulter <d.j.s.poulter>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:38:41 +0100

Hi All,

I'm going to throw in my thoughts at this point, but I'm only going to
address the last question here. Speaking on behalf of the community
(sorry for those who missed my election to this lofty office!!) I
think the term 'sea_surface_foundation_temperature' is perfectly
acceptable, and in fact possibly even more so than
'sea_foundation_temperature'.

It is important t note however, that there is no guarantee that the
'foundation temperature' will physically occur anywhere near the
surface. If one where to take a thermometer and descend through the
water until one found the 'foundation' temperature, one would be
floating at a different depth everyday. Does this make the inclusion
of the word 'surface' dishonest? I do not think so... but I guess it
depends on what the definition of 'surface' is!!!

The community tend to use the phrase 'foundation temperature', instead
of 'foundation SST' for this exact reason. SST implies a known depth
(intuitively zero!), but we know the 'foundation depth', that is the
depth of the 'foundation temperature' is dynamic. For this reason, I
am starting to think that 'sea_foundation_temperature' is perhaps a
little more, perhaps honest is the word?

However, I think in reality both are perfectly acceptable!

I hope I haven't confused anyone!

Dave

P.S. Apologies for not responding earlier, I have been away for a while!

David J. S. Poulter, SST Scientist
National Oceanography Centre, Southampton
European Way, Southampton, SO14 3ZH, UK
Tel: +44 (0)23 80596107
E-mail: djsp at soton.ac.uk http://www.hrdds.net