⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] V8 Standard name additions

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:25:16 +0100

Dear Roy, Jonathan and Veronika,

Thanks to Roy and Jonathan for pointing out that there are
inconsistencies between some of the new CCMVal names and existing
velocity and momentum flux names. I must admit that I hadn't really
noticed that all the existing velocity names also specify "air",
"atmosphere", "sea_water", etc.

Veronika has suggested a list of aliases for the CCMVal names as
follows:
eastward_transformed_eulerian_mean_velocity ->
eastward_transformed_eulerian_mean_air_velocity

northward_transformed_eulerian_mean_velocity ->
northward_transformed_eulerian_mean_air_velocity

northward_eliassen_palm_flux -> northward_eliassen_palm_flux_in_air

upward_eliassen_palm_flux -> upward_eliassen_palm_flux_in_air

northward_heat_flux_due_to_eddy_advection ->
northward_heat_flux_in_air_due_to_eddy_advection

upward_flux_of_eastward_momentum_due_to_nonorographic_eastward_gravity_w
aves ->
upward_eastward_momentum_flux_in_air_due_to_nonorographic_eastward_gravi
ty_waves

upward_flux_of_eastward_momentum_due_to_nonorographic_westward_gravity_w
aves ->
upward_eastward_momentum_flux_in_air_due_to_nonorographic_westward_gravi
ty_waves

upward_flux_of_eastward_momentum_due_to_orographic_gravity_waves ->
upward_eastward_momentum_flux_in_air_due_to_orographic_gravity_waves

An additional sentence will be needed in the definitions of the gravity
wave names to explain the meaning of "upward_eastward".

These suggestions are all in line with existing names and I plan to
introduce them into the standard name table at the next update on 13th
May.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.