⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for anomaly-type parameters

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 09:46:31 -0700

Adding a concurring voice to this sensibility. (But I am open to being told these comments don't reflect sufficient intimacy with CF standard names and practice, I am continuing to learn about it.)

One of the persistent questions about names in general, and CF names in particular, is whether one item can be considered the 'same as' another item. The answer obviously differs according to the purpose.

Although I think CF standard names and standard were developed along the principals of "the name will tell you if the two things are the same", in point of fact for some uses it will inevitably be overly specific for that purpose (when I'm looking to match just medium and property but CF adds methods or location qualifiers, say) and in other cases not specific enough (when some property just isn't required or stored, like the individual instrument ID). I think if I want a deterministic and computable answer to whether two terms represent the same medium and property, something external to the terms themselves is needed (an ontology of the terms, or a table lookup) -- the name itself is not sufficient for automated comparison.

In the case of anomaly, someone more involved in the history and motivation may be better at comparing the new terms to the existing terms and deciding where they should go. But as a 'new' user of CF, and one who wants to use it for observational data, I consider 'anomaly' to be much more general concept (for example, a measurement different than measurements before or after, in the vicinity, or averaged together; but including other concepts also). The existing anomaly definitions are confusing in mty context. So I pose the question as: What is the best way CF can accommodate the more general usage of this term going forward? (Or perhaps more accurately, the more general definition of this term. Maybe we just have to have another term for the concepts I associate with anomaly.)

It is certainly true that while I am a member of the community with dozens, maybe hundreds of term suggestions in mind, there is significant work to (a) convince myself that a term is appropriate for CF, and (b) submit it and see it through. This isn't a complaint about the process, but just agreeing that many community members may not express their needs.

John