⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] FW: new standard_names for variables concerningseasurface waves

From: Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:50:04 -0400

Hi Alison and all -

One quick question about waves data that's marginally related to this
thread. I'm very new to waves data, so please bear with me.

One of our parameters is sea_surface_wave_variance_spectral_density,
with coordinate variables time and frequency.

Sea_surface_wave_frequency is an accepted standard name, but I
would like to know why 'frequency' is not preferable, being more
generic. As an analogy, we can use 'depth' as the coordinate variable
for temperatures, and are not so specific as to require
sea_water_temperature_depth. Is specifying sea_surface_wave
really necessary, and might it not be misleading if the parameter
is not actually "plain" sea_surface_waves?

Cheers - Nan

* Nan Galbraith                        (508) 289-2444 *
* Upper Ocean Processes Group            Mail Stop 29 *
* Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution                *
* Woods Hole, MA 02543                                *