⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Need for standard name "ocean_pressure"?

From: John Graybeal <graybeal>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:11:16 -0800

Rich et al,

Although there is the existing sea_water_pressure, let me add a few more thoughts into the mix, as a result of classifying our own content from our own observing systems.

So let's say I'm making an instrument, and describing the data the instrument produces. This instrument can be deployed in the ocean (sea water), or a lake (fresh water) or a stream (running fresh water). If I label the pressure variable "sea_water_pressure" (the only related choice), isn't that going to be wrong when the instrument is deployed in the lake? Can't we have a water_pressure variable?

While we're at it, it would be useful to have a general term called 'pressure'. Some sensors may work in any environment.

(I know that CF is tuned to label data sets, but in the brave new world of interoperability we now inhabit, it isn't possible to hand label every data set that is produced by instrument X. So it is useful to be able to label the data an instrument can produce; then we can automatically annotate the data with the appropriate standard variable labels.)

My proposal would be for the addition of the following names:
 - pressure
 - water_pressure

I think sea_water_pressure should fill the purpose of Rich's request, but if he really wants to distinguish between ocean pressure and other sea water bodies, no objection to including the additional term ocean_tempressureperature; it is a clear subset of sea_water_pressure.

John