⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name proposal for CCMVal

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:12:47 +0000

Dear Martin

> > Would moles_of_X_in_atmosphere be more self-
> > explanatory than atmosphere_mole_burden_of_X?
>
> I don't think so -- sorry. What is your reasoning?

Sorry, I don't think I can give a reason - it just seems obvious to me! It is
evident from comments (not just mine) that mole_burden doesn't *necessarily*
mean the entire amount of X in the atmosphere expressed in moles. On the
other hand, moles_of_X_in_atmosphere is almost exactly what I would say in
ordinary English for this concept. I would actually say, "number of moles
of X in the atmosphere", but "number" could be confusing, as it might be
understood to imply an integer. How would you say it in English?

moles_of_X_in_atmosphere would be just like mass_of_X_in_atmosphere, which is
again what I would say to mean the entire amount in kg e.g. "The mass of CO2
in the atmosphere is X * 10^15 kg".

But maybe this is just my own peculiar use or understanding of English!

Cheers

Jonathan