⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name proposal for CCMVal - burden

From: Christiane Textor <christiane.textor>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:08:55 +0100

Dear colleagues,

I still think that burden is ambiguous as it is also used to indicate
the column mass. In addition, the word burden evokes the idea of mass (I
am a not an English native speaker, but the Winword Thesaurus gives
load, weight as synonymes for burden.)

Why not use 'total' as a new term? For the CCMVal names this would give
atmosphere_X_mole_total, but could be changed to
atmosphere_X_total_moles or total_atmosphere_X_moles. Just an idea...

Best regards,
Christiane

Jonathan Gregory schrieb:
> Dear Karl and all
>
> I was convinced by Martin's argument before that a new term is needed, and I
> still think he is right. I don't like "burden" particularly, and would prefer
> area_integral_of_content (I think that's what I suggested before), but
> "burden" is a term in actual use, and I take Martin's point that it may not
> be natural to describe the quantity of something in the atmosphere as the
> global area-integral of a quantity per unit area!
>
> Doing an area-integral is not just a statistical operation that can be
> described by cell_methods, because it involves the product of the content and
> the area, before doing the sum. The units of the new quantity don't depend just
> on the units of the original quantity, as m2 are involved as well, so it does
> need its own standard name, I think.
>
> Best wishes

Christiane Textor
Unite Mixte de Recherche CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
LSCE/IPSL, CEA Saclay, Orme des Merisiers,
Bat. 701, Piece 3b, Point Courrier 129
F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex
FRANCE
mailto: christiane.textor at lsce.ipsl.fr
Tel ++33 1 69 08 34 07 Fax ++33 1 69 08 77 16
GEOMON scientific project manager http://www.geomon.eu