⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard name proposal for CCMVal

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:05:13 +0000

Dear Karl and all

I was convinced by Martin's argument before that a new term is needed, and I
still think he is right. I don't like "burden" particularly, and would prefer
area_integral_of_content (I think that's what I suggested before), but
"burden" is a term in actual use, and I take Martin's point that it may not
be natural to describe the quantity of something in the atmosphere as the
global area-integral of a quantity per unit area!

Doing an area-integral is not just a statistical operation that can be
described by cell_methods, because it involves the product of the content and
the area, before doing the sum. The units of the new quantity don't depend just
on the units of the original quantity, as m2 are involved as well, so it does
need its own standard name, I think.