⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Fwd: standard name proposal for CCMVal

From: Martin Juckes <m.n.juckes>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:30:54 +0000

On Friday 25 January 2008 10:17, Christiane.Textor at lsce.ipsl.fr wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> To persue the discussion, I directly comment on your statements below:
>
> "As you say, IUPAC would be an alternative."
> I agree that the short names are much more convenient, but was told that
> IUPAC nomenclature is obligatory in CF. If ambiguities arise, this should
> be generally be clarified, but I do not see the difficulty when omitting
> the punctuation, as the position 112 does not exist in ethane ( in
> mole_fraction_of_112trichlorotrifluoroethane_in_air)

If IUPAC is compulsory we will of course follow it. I would suggest, however, that something along the lines of `IUPAC is compulsory' should be placed in the CF conventions document.

> "we are suggesting `_burden' to > indicate a global integral"
> I am sorry, I realize that I did not read your previous emails carefully
> enough. But my comment shows that the use of burden is ambigous, as it is
> also used in the community for the column integral. I would suggest to
> call it global_integral if this is what you want.

If approved, it should be clear to users that `_content' and `_burden' are related but different. `_content' is certainly not unambiguous in itself, it only becomes unambiguous by being part of the convention. My feeling is that the two concepts, the existing `_content' and the proposed `_burden' are sufficiently close that there is significant benefit in keeping to the same name structure, rather than introducing '...integral..'.

I was not following the discussion when `_content' was adopted, but it appears that it has been settled that it is appropiate to use this structure rather than `column_integral', which would be the obvious analogue of `global_integral'. Hence, in order to have a consistent syntax within CF I'd prefer to stick with '_burden',

cheers,
Martin