⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for ocean parameters

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:12:03 +0000

Dear Olivier

> Sea_ice_x_velocity (lat,lon)
> Sea_ice_x_velocity:standard_name=" sea_ice_x_velocity"
> Sea_ice_x_velocity:cell_methods= ? area:sea ice ?
>
> ..in the case of "sea_ice_x_velocity_where_sea_ice"

We still want to indicate the statistical method, so it would be for instance
cell_methods="area: mean where sea_ice".

> About "ocean_vertical_eddy_diffusivity" I mean vertical eddy diffusion
> coefficient [in ocean], do you mean that is it too ambiguous in CF? (Having
> a look on CF standard name I noticed that in atmosphere there are
> "atmosphere_heat_diffusivity" and "atmosphere_momentum_diffusivity")

Yes, diffusivity is fine, of course, as a general concept. I was wondering
whether you meant something specific by "eddy". Another way to ask the
question is, why not call it just ocean_vertical_diffusivity (and perhaps
instead "heat" or "momentum" if they have different values)?