⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] FW: Re. chemicals and aerosols

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 13:19:50 -0000

I meant to send this to the list ...

Y to
> > the mass of X (including Y). "Mass_fraction_of_ammonium" means that
the
> > mass is expressed as mass of NH3. "Aerosol" means the suspended
liquid
> > or solid particles in air (except cloud droplets). Aerosol takes up
> > ambient water (a process known as hygroscopic growth) depending on
the
> > relative humidity and the composition of the aerosol. "Dry aerosol"
> > means aerosol without water.
> >
> > It should be:
> > "Mass_fraction_of_ammonium" means that the mass is expressed as mass
of
> > NH4. not NH3.
>
> Oops! Thank you for spotting this - I'll correct the definition when I
> update the table.
>

> > It would be good to extend the explanation for black carbon aerosol:
> > Black carbon aerosol is composed of elemental carbon, it is strongly
> > light-absorbing.
>
> OK, thank you. I'll add a sentence to the definition of all black
carbon
> names.
>

> > particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol
> > secondary_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol
> > primary_particulate_organic_matter_dry_aerosol
> > To avoid ambiguities, I think we should say that the first is the
sum of
> > the second and the third in the explanation everywhere these aerosol
> > types are mentioned.
> >

> Yes, that would help to clarify the meaning of these names. I'll add
the
> necessary information to the definitions.
>
> > Here are my comments on the individual names you have listed
> > *************
> >
> > Volume mixing ratios:
> >
> > ALL OK
> > mole_fraction_of_gaseous_elemental_mercury_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_carbon_dioxide_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_methane_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_formaldehyde_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_ethane_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_ethene_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_ethyne_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_propane_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_propene_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_benzene_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_toluene_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_xylene_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_isoprene_in_air
>
> Fine. These names are agreed!
>

> > TYPO
> > gasesous->gaseous
> > mole_fraction_of_gasesous_divalent_mercury_in_air
> > mole_fraction_of_gaseous_divalent_mercury_in_air
> > (Define divalent as meaning all compounds where Hg has two binding
sites
> > to (an)other ion(s) in a salt or an(other) atom(s) in a molecule).
> >

> Thanks. I'll correct the typo. These names are agreed.
>
> > *************
> > > Tendency of atmospheric mass content due to dry deposition:
> >
> > ALL OK:
> > tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_ozone_due_to_dry_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nitrogen_dioxide_due_to_dry_depos
it
> > ion
> > tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_ammonia_due_to_dry_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dimethyl_sulfide_due_to_dry_depos
it
> > ion

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfur_dioxide_due_to_dry_deposit
io

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol_due_to_d
ry
> > _deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol_due_to_dry_de
po
> > sition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dust_dry_aerosol_due_to_dry_depos
it
> > ion

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_hexachlorobiphenyl_due_to_dry_dep
os
> > ition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_alpha_hexachlorocyclohexane_due_t
o_
> > dry_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_mercury_dry_aerosol_due_to_dry_de
po
> > sition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_ae
ro
> > sol_due_to_dry_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_secondary_particulate_organic_mat
te
> > r_dry_aerosol_due_to_dry_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_primary_particulate_organic_matte
r_
> > dry_aerosol_due_to_dry_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_gaseous_divalent_mercury_due_to_d
ry
> > _deposition
> > (Define divalent as meaning all compounds where Hg has two binding
sites
> > to (an)other ion(s) in a salt or an(other) atom(s) in a molecule).
>
> Fine. These names are agreed!
>

> > TYPOS:
> > depositon -> deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nitric_acid_due_to_dry_depositon

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nitric_acid_due_to_dry_deposition

> > gasesous -> gaseous

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_gasesous_elemental_mercury_due_to
_d
> > ry_deposition
>
> Thanks, I'll correct the typos. These names are agreed.

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_gaseous_elemental_mercury_due_to_
dr
> > y_deposition
> >

> > > *************
> > > Tendency of atmospheric mass content due to dry deposition into
> > > stomata:

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_ozone_due_to_dry_deposition_into_
st
> > omata
> > > OK
> > >
> > *************
>
> Fine. These names are agreed!
>

> > > Tendency of atmospheric mass content due to wet deposition:
> > >
> > ALL OK
> > tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_ammonia_due_to_wet_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dimethyl_sulfide_due_to_wet_depos
it
> > ion

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfur_dioxide_due_to_wet_deposit
io

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol_due_to_w
et
> > _deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_ae
ro
> > sol_due_to_wet_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_secondary_particulate_organic_mat
te
> > r_dry_aerosol_due_to_wet_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_primary_particulate_organic_matte
r_
> > dry_aerosol_due_to_wet_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol_due_to_wet_de
po
> > sition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dust_dry_aerosol_due_to_wet_depos
it
> > ion

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_hexachlorobiphenyl_due_to_wet_dep
os
> > ition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_alpha_hexachlorocyclohexane_due_t
o_
> > wet_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_gaseous_divalent_mercury_due_to_w
et
> > _deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_mercury_dry_aerosol_due_to_wet_de
po
> > sition
>
> Fine. These names are agreed!
>

> > TYPOS:

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nitric_acid_due_to_wet_depositon

> Thanks, I'll correct the typo. This name is agreed.

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nitric_acid_due_to_wet_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_gasesous_elemental_mercury_due_to
_w
> > et_deposition

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_gaseous_elemental_mercury_due_to_
we
> > t_deposition
> >

> > *************
>
> Fine. These names are agreed!
>
> > > Tendency of atmospheric mass content due to emissions:
> > >
> > ALL OK

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_carbon_monoxide_due_to_emission
> > tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_ammonia_due_to_emission

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_sulfur_dioxide_due_to_emission

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dimethyl_sulfide_due_to_emission

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_black_carbon_dry_aerosol_due_to_e
mi
> > ssion

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_particulate_organic_matter_dry_ae
ro
> > sol_due_to_net_production_and_emission

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_secondary_particulate_organic_mat
te
> > r_dry_aerosol_due_to_net_production

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_primary_particulate_organic_matte
r_
> > dry_aerosol_due_to_emission

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_seasalt_dry_aerosol_due_to_emissi
on

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_dust_dry_aerosol_due_to_emission

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_hexachlorobiphenyl_due_to_emissio

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_alpha_hexachlorocyclohexane_due_t
o_
> > emission

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_hexachlorobiphenyl_due_to_re_emis
si
> > on

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_alpha_hexachlorocyclohexane_due_t
o_
> > re_emission

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_gaseous_elemental_mercury_due_to_
em
> > ission

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_gaseous_divalent_mercury_due_to_e
mi
> > ssion

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_mercury_dry_aerosol_due_to_emissi
on

tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_nox_expressed_as_nitrogen_due_to_
em
> > ission
> >
> > *************
> > > Optical thickness:
> > ALL OK:
> > atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_pm10_ambient_aerosol
> > atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_pm2p5_ambient_aerosol
> > atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_pm1_ambient_aerosol
> > atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_black_carbon_ambient_aerosol OK
> > atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_seasalt_ambient_aerosol OK
> > atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_dust_ambient_aerosol OK

atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_particulate_organic_matter_ambient_a
er