⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] cf names for aerosols&chemistryL model - observations

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:05:36 +0000

Dear Christiane

> Secondly, I have realized that the names we are defining
> for chemicals and aerosols are rather biased towards the modeling world.
Yes, that's because it's where the use of CF started. But just as in other
areas of application of CF, there is no reason why we should not add further
names to suit observational applications, when they indicate different
concepts from those we have named already. As in other areas, it will
facilitate intercomparison of obs and models if we can adopt the same
standard. What can we do to encourage the observational community to be
interested in CF metadata?

> HDF for the remaining (4 dimensional data sets, time + 4 space dim)
Of course, the same dimensionality could be described in CF-netCDF. However
CF could (I imagine) also be used as an HDF convention.

> This is no problem of having different formats, as long as clear and
> consistent definitions exist.
There is no problem provided the formats have the same logical organisation,
so you can map concepts one-to-one. However, this is often not the case, for
example in the choice of whether coordinate variables are part of the
definition of the quantity or kept separate (CF always does the latter).