⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standard names for cloud radiative properties

From: Pamment, JA <J.A.Pamment>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:28:27 -0000

Dear All,

Three new standard names have been proposed:

shortwave_cloud_radiative_effect; Wm-2
longwave_cloud_radiative_effect; Wm-2
cloud_radiative_effect; Wm-2

There has already been some email discussion of these proposals (see
below). I think the proposed names and definitions are fine. If there
are any further comments on these names please send them to the mailing
list in the usual way.

Best wishes,
Alison

Webb
> >> Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] Re. chemicals and aerosols
> >>
> >> Hi Karl,
> >>
> >> CRE is a nice term because it is analogous to 'greenhouse effect'.
> >>
> >> However, when you use it people often query it because they are
> >> familiar with the term CRF (and of course CRF is the term used in
the
> >> vast majority of studies.)
> >>
> >> Is it possible to call these things CRE but also to note that they
> >> are often also known as CRF in the documentation?
> >>
> >> Mark

> > "longwave_cloud_radiative_forcing"

> > "longwave_cloud_radiative_effect"

> > suggestions?
> > want
> > would be

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/British Atmospheric Data Centre Fax: +44 1235 446314
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Email: J.A.Pamment at rl.ac.uk
Chilton, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.