⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] chemicals and aerosols

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:12:03 +0100

Dear all,

    refering to Alison's mail, it is good to see that progress is made again. The suggestions look very reasonable to me, also the suggestion to leave out the group names at this stage. However, it would be good to see something like a "syntax rule" included in the table which is probably the same thing as the semantic discussion but perhaps at first on a very simple level.

    Going through your categories, I would suggest to describe (this includes some question as well):
Volume mixing ratios:
standard_name=mole_fraction_of_*_in_air
units=1 , corresponding to mole/mole (which unfortunately is not an SI or udunits unit)
* stands for a compound that is well defined and does not differ between models. I believe that isomers (as for xylene) are geenrally ok because no model distinguishes between those, but they are always lumped into one xylene species.
   Should we perhaps suggest standard_name=mole_fraction_of_group_*_in_air as a way out of the "lumping crisis"? This would indicate that this is a variable that requires further explanation (in the comment attribute?)

Tendency of atmospheric mass content due to dry deposition:
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_*_due_to_dry_deposition OK
units: kg m-3 s-1

Tendency of atmospheric mass content due to wet deposition:
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_*_due_to_wet_depositon OK
units: kg m-3 s-1

Tendency of atmospheric mass content due to emissions:
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_*_due_to_emission OK
This could optionally further specified as
..._due_to_anthropogenic_emissions
..._due_to_biogenic_emissions
..._due_to_vegetationfire_emissions
For NOx in particular it might also be of interest to add:
..._due_to_aircraft_emissions
..._due_to_lightning_emissions (probably more correct to leave out "emissions", but this makes it easier to find it among the other source terms)

Tendencies due to chemical reactions:
tendency_of_atmosphere_mole_concentration_of_*_due_to_chemical_gross
_production

Optical thickness:
atmosphere_optical_thickness_due_to_*_ambient_aerosol

The following proposed names would be left out for now:
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_all_nitrogen_oxides_expressed_as_
nitrogen_due_to_dry_deposition

Here again the "group" solution might help:
tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_group_reactive_nitrogen_oxides_expressed_as_
nitrogen_due_to_dry_deposition

It is important to add the "reactive" here, because otherwise N2O would also be included.

You also put forward a more recent set of proposals:
mole_fraction_of_carbon_dioxide_in_air
mole_fraction_of_methane_in_air
mole_fraction_of_formaldehyde_in_air
mole_fraction_of_ethane_in_air
mole_fraction_of_ethene_in_air
mole_fraction_of_ethyne_in_air
mole_fraction_of_propane_in_air
mole_fraction_of_propene_in_air
mole_fraction_of_benzene_in_air
mole_fraction_of_toluene_in_air
mole_fraction_of_xylene_in_air
mole_fraction_of_isoprene_in_air

I agree that these names are OK. In addition one could use "group" again to add
mole_fraction_of_group_terpenes_in_air

Best regards,

Martin

< Dr. Martin G. Schultz, ICG-II, Forschungszentrum J?lich >
< D-52425 J?lich, Germany >
< ph: +49 (0)2461 61 2831, fax: +49 (0)2461 61 8131 >
< email: m.schultz at fz-juelich.de >
< web: http://www.fz-juelich.de/icg/icg-2/m_schultz >

----------------
------------------------------
Forschungszentrum J?lich GmbH
52425 J?lich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: J?lich
Eingetragen im Handelsregister des Amtsgerich
ts D?ren Nr. HR B 3498
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig'in B?rbel Bru
mme-Bothe
Gesch?ftsf?hrung: Prof. Dr. Achim Bachem (Vorsitzender), Dr. Ulric
h Krafft (stellv.
Vorsitzender)