⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] URNs

From: Jon Blower <jdb>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 18:59:18 +0100

Just to stick my oar in, I'd like to support the URN idea, mainly for
the reason that the presence of a fully-qualified CRS (or any other
attribute) concisely conveys the *intent* of the data provider. Even
if the implementation is faulty (e.g. a typo in one of the attributes)
the presence of an authoritative CRS shows what was meant, and a tool
can flag any detected inconsistency. Mistakes in NetCDF headers are
so common in my experience that this would be very valuable from the
point of view of someone (like me) who tries to develop tools, even if
it's sometimes redundant. I think I've just restated in different
words what others have posted before but I thought it was worth
showing my support!

For example, take files produced by some variant of the NEMO tripolar
ocean model. There is no analytical form of the numerical grid so
it's a hard CRS to work with, and very unlikely to be defined by EPSG
(yet). It would be very difficult for a tool to detect the presence
of a NEMO grid from the CF axis definitions alone - it would be
recognised simply as a generic curvilinear grid. However, if there
were a globally unique identifier for the CRS, a tool could recognise
this and behave appropriately (for example the WMS implementation I'm
working on will recognise a NEMO grid and can deal with it more
efficiently than a generic grid, but I'm having to check for the
presence of an ad-hoc attribute at the moment, yuck).

(There are of course several variants of the NEMO grid but each could
have its own URN.)

Jon