⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] domain for calendar, add_offset, scale_factor

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:57:31 +0100

Dear Benno

> Sorry for using the deprecated mailing-list, but TRAC is not working for
> me at the moment.

I think it's fine to use the email list for discussion. Trac is principally
for making specific proposals for change.

> 1) I was not aware that it was illegal to scale a coordinate variable
> using add_offset and scale_factor.

It has not been envisaged that there was a need for it, as far as I remember.
Coord vars usually take a small amount of space, relative to data vars, so
don't need to be compressed. In principle I don't see why it shouldn't be
allowed, as they would still satisfy requirements of being monotonic and not
having missing data. Do you have a need for it?

> 2) I also thought that if a non-coordinate variable specified time, it
> would be permissible to specify a calendar.

Yes, I agree, it should be. It is necessary, in fact, as time units alone can't
be decoded correctly without the calendar (unless it is default).

Cheers

Jonathan