⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] wind_force bei CF anmelden

From: Roy Lowry <rkl>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:26:15 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

I totally agree with your suggestion.

Cheers, Roy.

>>> Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> 9/20/2007 11:15 am >>>
Dear Martina

> We would like to register a CF standard name:
>
> standard name: wind_force
> unit: synoptical wind speed classification in classes (0-12 or extended in
> 0-17); the unit is usually refered to as Bft [Beaufort].
>
> This classification of the wind speed is used by the National Weather Services
> and the WMO for wind speed estimation. Since there is no unique mathematical
> conversion into wind speed, we need a new standard name for the wind force.
>
> The WMO-Defintion could be found in the WMO Manual on Codes, No. 306, part A,
> Alphanumeric codes (WMO Code table 3700 (i.e. Sea State) and in Section E for
> the Beaufort scale).
> http://www.wmo.ch/pages/prog/www/WMOCodes/Manual/WMO306_Vol-I-1-PartA.pdf

To be perfectly clear what this is, I suggest we should make the standard name
beaufort_wind_force. Otherwise it might be misunderstood as meaning forcing in
the physical sense of something in newtons. If we call it beaufort_wind_force
I don't think it needs to have a unit; it's actually a dimensionless number on
the scale.

Cheers