⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.0 registration of new names for SST

From: Olivier Lauret <olauret>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:09:37 +0200

Dear all,

The discussion about introducing new standard names for SST raised a lot of
interesting questions; If I understood correctly and try to synthesize the
way CF could meet GHRSST-PP science team requirements for SST, we may have
the following choice:

*SSTint (GHRSST-PP): surface_temperature (CF)

*SSTskin (GHRSST-PP):
- sea_surface_temperature_in_skin_layer?
- skin_sea_surface_temperature?
- sea_skin_temperature?
- sea_water_temperature with a depth attribute ?
(I would personnally vote for a name with "skin" explicitly written in,
with no depth attribute, like the first three ones)

*SSTsubskin (GHRSST-PP):
- sea_surface_temperature_in_subskin_layer?
- subskin_sea_surface_temperature?
- sea_subskin_temperature?
- sea_water_temperature with a depth attribute ?
(same comments as for SSTskin)

*SSTdepth (GHRSST-PP): sea_water_temperature (CF)

*SSTfnd (GHRSST-PP):
- sea_surface_temperature_at_diurnal_thermocline_base

Do everybody agree, or is anything missing? If yes, we shall only pick new
names for SSTskin, SSTsubskin and SSTfnd: the "final cut" is for Craig?

Cheers,

Olivier.

Olivier Lauret

CLS Space Oceanography Division