⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF-1.0 registration of new names for SST

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:41:59 +0100

Dear John

I find the question quite hard to address in your terms:

> (1) The basic CF terms should only be applied when the measurement is in situ and 'uncontaminated'.
> (2) CF terms refer only to the type of thing being measured, not to the conditions of measurement.

but I think I understand the point. When we originally began the standard
name table, we had (1) in mind. That is, we envisaged comparing properties "of
the real world", and giving them the same names from different models and in
observational datasets. Such names do not have to indicate how the quantities
were computed and corrected. That has all been dealt with, one presumes, if
they are being presented as comparable, as is indicated by giving them the same
name. However it turned out that CF is also useful for raw observational
datasets, in which case the need arises to name quantities which describe the
conditions of measurement, and quantities which are needed to compute the
"real world" quantities (such as sensor temperatures). I think such names can
be added to the standard name table. I also think that it doesn't really
contradict the bit you quoted:

> "The use of standard names will facilitate the exchange of climate and forecast data by providing unambiguous identification of variables most commonly analyzed."

because these ancillary quantities (platform position and orientation, sensor
temperature, etc.) may also have to be compared among datasets, and standard
names can help to identify what they are.

Cheers

Jonathan