⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposed rules for changes to CF conventions

From: Steve Hankin <Steven.C.Hankin>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 11:56:33 -0700

[wow! busy day. maybe we are all drinking too much coffee?]

This email simply addresses the narrow question that Bryan posed -- below

Bryan Lawrence wrote:
> I think Steve's proposals are pretty worthy. I think many people (probably me
> included) get carried away with wanting CF status for something that really
> doesn't have wide enough interest to justify it ... so if enough folk can't
> get interested that in and of itself is interesting ...
>
> ... but I'm not sure I understand the [3] then [5] ... it appears that both
> numbers should be the same? If not, I didn't understand the distinction.

The intention here is to recognize that discussions start spontaneously
among interested parties. The number of participants in the initial
debate may be small. These individuals may carry a discussion to the
level of a formal proposal to change CF. I've suggested that there
ought to be a minimum size, even at this early stage. Is 3 enough?
Should it be 4?

I'd argue that the process for approving of a proposal needs to be a
more formal and rigorous than the process for developing it. The number
of people that ought to have read the proposal; thought about it; and
agreed prior to approving it may need to be larger than the few who
developed it. I suggest 5. Should it be more? (Could it reasonably be
fewer?)

    - Steve