⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposed rules for changes to CF conventions

From: V. Balaji <V.Balaji>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:33:38 -0400 (EDT)

I'm very happy indeed that libcf and the NCAS checker are both willing
to take on an implementation role in moving a standard from
'provisional' to 'there'.

Steve's proposal for a 'quorum' makes sense, as it builds some inertia
into the process. I'm not too worried about private standards emerging:
it's probably the right way to go about small collaborations, and there
is equal inertia in the large projects like IPCC, that I don't see them
insisting on standards that exceed CF.

Test netCDF files seem like a good idea.

Specifying a finite period for comments before moving to a vote seems
like a good idea. Didn't we actually say two months, or something, at
GOESSP?

We seem to be now following the IETF dictum on standards: "rough
consensus and working code". I vote 'yes' on the proposal, however
the details shake out.
--
V. Balaji                               Office:  +1-609-452-6516
Head, Modeling Systems Group, GFDL      Home:    +1-212-253-6662
Princeton University                    Email: v.balaji at noaa.gov